August 12, 2020

Left, Wright, and Ghost

"Mom, there are kittens in the corn crib!" one of my brood hollered to me from the field behind the house. By the time I got out to look the mama cat had hidden her babies and it would be several days 'til I had the chance to see them for myself. 

Mama Cat is feral and though we have witnessed her out hunting, none of us have been able to get close to her. The babies, on the other hand, are gradually getting used to us. They like to hang out in our garage. 

There are three of them. I named them. (Of course, I did.) They are Left, Wright, and Ghost. 

Left and Wright are almost mirror-images of each other. The biggest difference being Wright has a tiny pink nose. Left is the friendlier of the two. I've been able to hold him and pet him and even bring him briefly into the house. I might have tried to keep him there if not for the disapproving look on my husband's face. Perhaps I'll convince him in the end...

Wright and Left. Aren't they adorable?

Ghost has a spectacular lightning bolt on her face and is larger than the other two. So much larger, in fact, I suspect she is from a previous litter and has chosen to stay with her mama longer than her littermates. She will tolerate my petting her while she's eating, but barely. Ghost has the makings of a good hunter and the best way to get her attention is to trail a string or long blade of grass on the ground in front of her. She moves noiselessly about the garage and freezes when you spot her. Don't look away! She disappears in the blink of an eye.

Ghost

Our farm is that much livelier with the presence of these tiny wanderers and I've become quite attached to them. I do hope they decide to stay.  





No comments: